11 August 2026

Books I Was Reading On This Day Over the Last Ten Years: A Top Ten for Tuesday List


Tuesdays begin like any other day. I rise before the sun, make a carafe of coffee, then return to bed to read The New York Times on my laptop. My wife has made me promise to wake her with news that Donald Trump is dead. The Environment Canada website is next, followed by The Globe & Mail. I then take a tour of my favourite book blogs. On Tuesdays I make a point of visiting That Artsy Reader Girl. For six years now, Jenna has been hosting Top Ten Tuesday in which she suggests topics to we fellow bookish people. A few examples: 

Books I Disliked But Am Glad I Read
The Longest Books I've Ever Read
Books I'd Give Different Titles To 
Much as I've enjoyed the responses, I'd never participated. This changed with today's prompt: Books I Was Reading On This Day Over the Last Ten Years.

It was interesting to revisit summer reads from years past. Published in 1872, James De Mille's The American Baron was the oldest. I Am Not Guilty was by far my favourite of the ten titles. Read in 2019, I liked it so much as to return it to print the following year as part of the Véhicule Press Ricochet series.


I was less impressed by the author's 1949 Harlequin Lost House, which is not to suggest that there aren't others deserving revival... Well, maybe just one. Long time readers will know which:

2025

Onoto Watanna [Winnifred Eaton]
New York: Harper, 1901

2024

James De Mille
New York: Harper & Bros, 1872

2023

The Weak-Eyed Bat
Collected Millar: The First Detectives
Margaret Millar

New York: Syndicate, 2017

2022

Lost House
Frances Shelley Wees
Winnipeg: Harlequin, 1949

2021

One Day's Courtship and The Heralds of Fame
Robert Barr
New York: Stokes, 1896

2020

The Darling Illusion
Margerie Scott
London: Peter Davies, 1954

2019

M'Lord, I Am Not Guilty
Frances Shelley Wees
New York: Doubleday, 1954

2018

Doors of the Night
Frank L. Packard
Toronto: Copp Clark, 1922

2017

Caught in the Snare: The Sequel to Edith Percival
May Agnes Fleming
New York: Street & Smith, [c. 1917]

2016

The Mystery of the Folded Paper
Hulbert Footner
New York: Collier, n.d.

For the record, I'm currently reading Lot's Wife, John Glassco's 1975 translation of La femme de Loth by Monique Bosco.

As I write, Donald Trump is still alive.

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment