25 October 2022

May Agnes Fleming: Lost Lady of CanLit


No surprise that I'm a devotee of Lost Ladies of Lit, "the podcast dedicated to dusting off books by forgotten women writers." For over two years, hosts Kim Askew and Amy Helmes have covered works by writers I thought I knew (Edna FerberOuida), writers I knew only as names (G.E. Trevelyan  Gene Stratton-Porter), and others who were wholly unfamiliar (Kay DickHilma Wolitzer). Always informative, I've looked forward to each new episode. 

And so, I was honoured when Kim and Amy invited me to talk about a Canadian lost lady.

Who to choose?

Why, May Agnes Fleming, of course! Our first bestselling novelist, no Canadian writer is so forgotten. With Halloween approaching, I settled on her 1863 gothic novel The Midnight Queen for dusting off.

And then I came down with Covid... Appropriate, really, as Fleming's novel takes place during the Great Plague of London. "Cries and lamentations echoed from one end of the city to the other," writes Fleming, "and Death and Charles reigned over London together."

Recorded on an early day in the reign of Charles III, things weren't nearly so tragic when we sat down to speak, though you can hear that the virus still has a hold on my voice.

The podcast episode was posted today:


Related posts:

2 comments:

  1. Such a great discussion with you. Thank you again for coming on the show. What a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Kim. Thank you for inviting me. I had a blast.

      Delete